In 1956 Roswell had 2,400 residents and the nearest Episcopal congregation met in Marietta at St. James’ Church. In August 1956 the rector of St. James, The Rev. Joseph T. Walker, signed an application for the establishment of a mission in North Fulton County. The first service was held at the Alpharetta Health Center on Sunday, September 16, 1956.
The church now stands on five acres donated by Mrs. A. Q. Smith of St. Luke’s, Atlanta, in March 1957. The first building was begun in 1958 and is currently used as the parish hall. A parish hall and education wing were added in 1962.
The Rev. Herbert Smith served as vicar of St. David’s as well as St. Jude’s, a mission in Cobb County. In 1960 these two missions shared a new vicar, The Rev. Lamar Speier, for nine months. The Rev. William McClelland, Jr., was vicar of St. David’s and St. Catherine’s (a new mission in East Cobb) from 1962 until 1967 when he became the full-time vicar of St. David’s.
By 1971 St. David’s had gained full parish status. The Rev. Charles Kendrick served as rector from 1977 until 1979. On the Feast of Pentecost, 1981, the Rev. Hendree Harrison came to St. David’s as rector. The Rev. Sandy Horton served as assistant to the rector from 1986 until 1990. The Rev. Ken Struble became assistant to the rector in 1993, leaving in July 2002 to become Executive Director of Mikell Camp and Conference Center in Toccoa, GA. The Rev. Kevin Kelly joined the staff as assistant to the rector in 1998, leaving in 2001 for the Diocese of West Virginia.
In March 2000 Hendree Harrison retired and was named as Rector Emeritus. After an interim period of 18 months, the Vestry called The Rev. Paul S. Winton, who accepted their call to become St. David’s 4th Rector. The Reverend Ken Swanson became our 5th rector in March, 2010, and retired in August, 2019.
The first baptism was held in 1959 and the first wedding was performed in 1962. EYC began in 1968 and St. David’s Preschool opened in 1969. The present church and education wings were added in 1985. Saint David’s now has over 600 active parish households.