The Austin Organ Opus 1868 (Built in
here to view the Organ Specifications.
This historically significant instrument, designed by James B. Jamison, provided exemplary service for 54 years in the former First Presbyterian Church of Iowa City, Iowa. Silent and neglected for ten years, a flick of the blower switch and minor tuning was all that was necessary to prepare the organ for a full length farewell recital.
In 1992, St. David's arranged to purchase this instrument through Austin Organs, Inc. Selective additions prepared for in the original tonal character were completed and the instrument-Opus #1868 plus additions - #1868-A, was installed at St. David's in 1995, made possible by the generous gifts of hundreds of faithful parishioners and friends of St. David's.
Included in the installation was an elegant period facade (Estey Organ, 1901) which was restored and enhanced by Austin to complement the freestanding rear gallery installation.